Tuesday 3 January 2012

Art in 2012

The new year has begun and this is my first post in 2012. I am looking forward to new film releases, new music concerts to attend and new art exhibitions to visit.

As part of my love of art, I enjoy looking for the latest exhibitions in and around London to visit. I love colourful, creative and thought provoking artwork. I have my own work which I may indeed share in the future on this blog but I always take inspiration from artists who go beyond the normal boundaries of colour.

I love art that is experimental and not too realistic. I have been brought up in the more modern age I suppose. I appreciate all artwork but my preference is the weird and wonderful! I like any kind of art that makes you think twice.

I have found two exhibitions beginning early this year that have taken my fancy and look worth the visit.

David Hockney: A Bigger Picture
January 21st 2012 - 9th April 2012
His new vivid landscapes will be showcased at the Royal Academy of Arts

Winter Timber, 2009

His artwork is inspired by the east Yorkshire landscapes and this exhibition will feature old and new works as well as being supported by drawings and video footage. I loved his work from an early age as the colours are so vibrant and eye catching. I love the fact he uses a variety of media to create a collage effect in his work. He is known for many skills in print work, photography, painting, and stage design.

His website for more images and information: http://www.hockneypictures.com/home.php

Another great exhibition is:

Yayoi Kusama: Retrospective
9th February 2012 - 5th June 2012
Tate Modern


Photo Credit

Another eclectic artist who encompasses print, paint, sculpture, performance and film in her artwork. Best known for her repetitive dot patterns, she is a colourful and creative artist with a very complicated past which reflects in all of her art. This is a must see and I am so excited to take a trip into the mind of Yayoi. Also it is said that Louis Vuitton are set to support Yayoi with a programme aimed at young people through the 'Louis Vuitton Young Arts Project' as well as collaborating to fill the exhibition space in the Louis Vuitton Bond Street Maison.

I am a big fan of her work and below are some more of her fantastic pieces that show her endless obsession with dots but a beautiful way of capturing the world around her. Expect to be engulfed into her world with the use of lights, photography, film and much more in a network of rooms! An exciting exhibition to say the least!

Photo Credit

Photo Credit

Photo Credit
I will do a post once I visit these exhibitions so keep an eye out for my review!

2 comments:

Holly said...

oooo I love the new layout it looks gorgeous :D the background is so pretty and I love love love the beauty&the beast image at the top :D one of my favourite disney films :)
These exhibitions look amazing, I really wish I had more time to visit exhibitions and art museums, they're so inspiring :)
hope you're well lovey <3 Holz oxo

Trisha Hilton said...

Thankyou very much! Yes I am hoping to visit them this Feb. Thanks for the positive feedback on the layout, glad you like it! Hope to feature you as a guest blogger soon x