Tuesday 23 October 2012

The Origin of Trick-or-Treating

Photo Credit
Trick-or-Treating is also known as 'Guising' and has been recorded as far back at 1895 in Scotland and may have links to Celtic festivals. There are a few theories contesting where it began but it seems to have become far more popular since the 1950s, especially in Northern America. 'Souling' (England and Ireland)has also been linked to this tradition where the poor would go from house to house singing hymns to the dead to receive food or coins. Nowadays children dress up to receive sweets and it tends to result in a house being 'tricked' (usually by egging the house) if the owners do not comply to the offering of treats.

It is safe to say that years ago the costumes were far more haunting (above) and I do think it is customary for most houses to provide a pot of sweets for children, even if you leave it on the porch. I always try and provide sweets to avoid being tricked! I can't say I agree with the idea of being tricked in the first place and since there is no real evidence for children in the past to ever vandalise I don't really see how this came about! It was usually said and never done it seems.

Decorating ones home around this time of year was originally done to ward off evil spirits which explains the presence of a scary 'lantern' made from a pumpkin.

I love this time of year but I never really go all out like they do in America although I would love to visit my family over there to experience it! I need to add that to the Bucket List :)

1 comment:

Jonthegold said...

interesting post of yours. Now i know the true origin of trick or treat on halloween. but imma do it anywayz lol :)

check out my blog and feel free to leave a comment. antwerpstreetfashion.blogspot.com