Monday 3 October 2011

Rise of the Planet of the Apes (2011)

Cast: James Franco (Will Rodman), Andy Zerkis (Caesar the ape), John Lithgow (Will’s Father, Charles), Frieda Pinto (Will’s girlfriend, Caroline)
Photo Credit

I finally got down to the cinema to see ‘Rise of the Planet of the Apes’. I had watched the trailer and decided it looked good as it clearly had a lot of CGI spent on it to create the ape, Caesar. I had seen the previous films a few years back and so I thought the latest edition would be worth the watch.
I wasn’t as keen on the ‘Planet of the Apes’ (2001) as I didn’t feel it was real enough for me. I enjoyed the character of Captain Leo, played by Mark Wahlberg as he played his part well. He was believable, manly and relatable but I feel his co-stars weren’t as likeable. When I heard James Franco was going to be in the 2011 film, I was sure it would be a hit. Since his success in films such as ‘Spiderman’, I have liked watching him on screen. He has a commanding presence and a charm about him.
This film was recommended to me by quite a few people so when I first sat down to watch the film; I had a reassurance that it would be enjoyable. The cinema was packed and throughout the film there was a silence that indicated to me everyone was enthralled in the film. I was pleasantly surprised to see John Lithdow playing the character of Will’s father. He is a fantastic actor and I like that the theme of this film paralleled with his previous work in  ‘Harry and the Hendersons’ (1987) where he has a large ‘bigfoot’ creature living in his home.
What I liked about this film is firstly the CGI effects of the ape, Caeser, played by Andy Zerkis. He is best known for his work in ‘Lord of the Rings’ as Gollum. The effects highlight the developments in special effects since the original ‘Planet of the Apes’ (1968) where they wore costume instead.
 You empathise with Caesar and his facial expressions are so human, which is the point of the film. He was born from an ape that was tested on to try and discover the cure for Alzheimer’s. Will’s Father has Alzheimer’s in the film and he wants to begin human testing as soon as possible as his Fathers condition is worsening. This film explains the rise of the apes that become infected with this test sample which enable them to communicate more intelligently, plan a takeover and eventually speak.
The relationship between Will and his Father is very sweet and you really do feel for Will in trying desperately to help him. He is a scientist and has all this knowledge and ‘proof’ this sample cure will work that he tests it on his Father prematurely only to find there are side effects. The sample only enhances apes and his relationship with Caesar becomes jeopardised when Caesar is taken away from him and he comes into contact with other, non-enhanced apes.
I like how the film ties up loose ends on how the apes were enhanced and able to think and communicate so intelligently.  It also adds in the element of infection from human to human as the sample is dangerous to non-apes.
More importantly in the film is Caesar’s relationship with Will and how he sees him like a Father but inevitably notices he is different from Will. Due to his rising intelligence he begins to question where he is from. When he is captured and realises the apes he is with are not like him, he plans to lead them to freedom. He is not aggressive in the film as he has a good heart but that being said, he can’t control the other apes behaviours once they are infected.
Photo Credit
James Franco really is a leading man. He adds sincerity to the role and I found myself watching the film and not wanting it to end. The only criticism I have is the ending. I like the fact that Caesar asks permission from Will to go back into the forest with his new ape comrades to explore and be free, as it ties in with previous references. However it is left a little too open-ended and ambiguous for my liking.  I wanted to know a little more about the human infection spreading and what the apes overall intentions were once they escaped.
My view: The film is a definite must-see. If you enjoy action, emotion and special effects then you are in for a treat! It is an improvement from the previous films in my view and I am happily recommending James Franco as a leading man!
Note: This review is being featured on the Fashion_Fairy's blog sexyatmidnight.com, she focuses on fashion but loves to promote other blogs too! She is great at what she does so give her blog a look! Thankyou x

No comments: