Monday 4 March 2013

Django Unchained 2012

Photo Credit
Django Unchained has a rating (18) and rightly so, directed by Tarantino so you can expect a lot of unnecessary bloodshed. To be honest, it is a far too lengthy and self indulgent film from him. The actors of this film - Jamie Foxx (Django), Lenorado DiCaprio (Calvin Candie) and especially Christoph Waltz (Dr. King Schultz) really make this film entertaining. Set in pre-civil war America this films western flair does have it's good and bad points.

The topic is a sensitive one but it is delivered with wit and humour, so I have to give Taratino some credit for his dialogue and plot. Many have said this film is the 'best' they have ever seen and although it is a good film, it is far too repetitive regarding the rescuing of Django's wife from the plantation. The film could have ended a whole 45 mintures before it did!

Leo plays the vile character of Candie - the plantation owner extremely well and Foxx is a great hero, while Waltz is superb at being the sympathetic and humorous bounty hunter. There are some truly funny parts of the film mixed with serious elements of slavery, I think it is balanced well and it really is a good action film as well. There are some good and realistic fight scenes and I find the way Dr King always ties up his killing with a warrant for the person dead or alive to be a funny touch.

I think it is a good but overrated film. I did find myself checking my watch and I never do that in DiCaprio films! I recommend it but I wouldn't say highly. I will watch it again as maybe sitting in the cinema with my butt going numb was a downside for me! When I get a second viewing I will be adding to this!

Thumbs to the side people! Let me know your comments!

3 comments:

Optimistic Existentialist said...

I agree with your review!! I loved it overall but the last 30 minutes really drug on. Christopher Waltz is amazing!!!

Optimistic Existentialist said...

I hope you had a great St. Patrick's Day!!

Trisha Hilton said...

@optimistic Thank you for your comment! Glad you agree!

I had a great weekend and I hope you did too!