Monday 14 January 2013

Gangster Squad (15)

This film is UNREAL! I knew from the moment I saw the poster that I was going to love it. It has everything, from romance to violence with a true story element and Mob bosses! It is set in 1949 when Mickey Cohen was at the height of his reign in LA and focuses on a secret police force set up to tear down his ruthless campaign to take over.

Every character is flawless in this film, excellent casting and great acting. Sean Penn as Cohen is effortless, he captures the cruel essence very well. I was really impressed by this line up but even more impressed with the delivery of their work. Each character is believable in the role and within that era. Emma Stone is on point as the sexy red-headed vixen and really shines in this film for me as a supporting actress, she has come a long way since Superbad as the lovely girl-next-door. Ryan Gosling is charismatic and easy to watch on screen, previously I have found him quite an introverted actor so it was a nice change. I could go on but to be honest I enjoyed every aspect of this film from the script, the cinematography and the casting.

I think this is the best film I have seen since Lawless and appeals to anyone who loves a good Gangster flick. It could have done with a little bit more violence, an 18 rating maybe as I felt parts were a little tame.



Faultless film, a real MUST SEE

2013 film viewing has kicked off in style!

No comments: