Sunday 26 June 2011

Jersey Shore VS Geordie Shore

I am a big fan of the new phenomenon that is the Jersey Shore. Since two new programmes have sprung into our existence I have been mesmerised by fake tan, extensions, huge glistening jewellery and amazing accents.The two programmes have been on my Sky planner since the beginning and I have religiously watched them in fascination and pure drama-loving!

They have been such a hit that the terms 'Guidos/Guiedettes' are common knowledge now and everyone knows who these reality TV stars are. They have been an over-night success but it is the likability of the characters that have made it such a phenomenon.

The two shows I am referring to are 'The Jersey Shore' and 'Jerseylicious'.

                                                       Jerseylicious -











- Jersey Shore

Both these programmes are based in New Jersey, America and follow the lives of young people and their inevitable dramas. 'Jersey Shore' is focused on a group of housemates looking to party, 'smush', get girls/guys but stay away from grenades! 'Jerseylicious' is based around The Gatsby Salon and the dramas and love lives of the girls who work there as well as the rivalry with The Glam Fairy. Both are highly entertaining and show us a culture we are not familiar with here in England. Both programmes have coined their own tag lines and put their stamp on this kind of reality show. Their antics do not get boring as they are individuals who like the way they are and do not care about being judged.

Unfortunately we have had to remake these programmes into something that relates to the British which doesn't really do the American versions justice. For some reason the programmes I have mentioned above have been translated into shows that reflect less intelligent and narcissistic men and women who have nothing to give a reality show.

I have barely watched 'Geordie Shore' or 'The Only Way is Essex' but what I did see of it did not make me want to press that series link button. I found them less attractive, less intelligent and honestly just in it to be on TV not to actually reflect their honest lives. They both seem very scripted and staged and there isn't much likability for the characters. They have clearly tried to make Essex and Newcastle seem as glamorous as New Jersey but to be honest, I find the girls of the jersey shore have a lot more class and edge than any of the girls in these new spin offs. The same goes for the boys, I find them to be lovable characters that have a lot of charm in the jersey shore.


                                        The Only Way is Essex -
                                                                                                                                                                                                                        









-Geordie Shore


I love Essex for a night out and Newcastle is one of the hot spots in England but the people they chose for these shows are not who I would of chosen to represent the youth of today! I believe in having a good time; drinking and partying but I also believe a person should have substance and that is what these characters lack. In fact the term characters is perfect for them, they are 'playing' themselves and coming across as fake as their tans.

The only characters I like in Geordie shore are Vicky and Sophie as they at least add something to the show, they have a funny but relatable element compared to the other guys and girls and are wasted on this programme. Vicky is the best looking and has the most extensive vocab and is intelligent. I don't see how she fits in with this group considering she doesn't 'bang' but I will be watching more of this programme while I wait for Jersey Shore to come back onto my screen. Geordie Shore is the best of a bad bunch on British TV.

A new instalment has come out with 'Made in Chelsea' and I can safely say I will not be tuning into that. The new spin offs seem to be for audiences to make fun of these young people rather than watch it for genuine enjoyment. I feel the programmes based in the Jersey Shore have played on the looks and bodies of the characters to their advantage without jeopardising the plot of the series and the substance of the show. They show more about family, dining together and working together.

All I see on these other programmes are a quick snippet of work but partying constantly and then they act like they are a family but they all slag each other off. That isn't a family at all. Made in Chelsea only seems to focus on rich and pompous young adults who have nothing better to do.

I am looking forward to the new series of 'Jersey Shore' with a new location: ITALIA coming soon to MTV. Also Series 2 of Jerseylicious is still on The Style Network with the finale getting closer!

TUNE IN

No comments: